So,we left without any hesitated. Next day, the puppy welcoming us weak wave of tail, that was strange. It looked sick and weak . Laid there and breathed heavily.
The food in bowl was untouched, with few gross watery substances on floor, suspected the vomit. Instead, could see the watery poops around the garden. At first , we really thought it might been poison / ingested some pesticide.
|The blood poops. It smelled stink, fishy smell.|
However, when I was cleaning the floor.The mystery solved. Could found bones in vomits. (It remind me about our last dinner was pork feet )
What was so importance about the last dinner?
“Yup actually when your dog had been allergy / food poisoning / not feeling well, normally the veterinary will asked to know the last meal. Most of the vomit and diarrhea symptoms related with the food the dog took.”
For my puppy case, it actually our fault. We did gave few of the pork big bones for it. Well, I suspected the puppy too small, instead of chew it well, it simply swallowed it in the big chunks. The big fragment of bones, cause some digestion problem in the stomach. The worst , it might hurt/poked the stomach lining and cause inflammation, end up to be gastroenteritis.
This is one of the reasons why the dog kept on vomit and diarrhea. It basically couldn’t ingested any food/ water. Even it drank only few sips of water, it end up throw out everything. When there nothing inside the stomach it even throw out yellow liquid, gastric juice when ever it tried to drink water. Looked at the skinny body , hurt in my heart.
Its very emergency. Unfortunately it was weekend night and all the clinic closed, they requested us to make an appointment on Monday. 2 days more, I m not sure could it make through it.
Emergency rescues steps I done to my dog.
1. Check for the dehydration.
Puppies tend to dehydrate faster than adult dog. Refer on the internet; I check the skin elasticity for the dehydration level. The skin took few second longer than before back to origin after stretched indicated dehydration condition. Another method, check on the gum. The dehydration dog shown pink salmon gum with thin film of saliva. Pressed on the gum and release,to see the capillary refilled time, normally dehydration condition took more than 10- 15 seconds. If your dog fulfilled all the dehydration requirements on top, please hurry up refer to veterinary.
My condition, I am using my general medical knowledge. I make an instant “oral rehydration solution” for the dog. When too much of vomit and diarrhea, it loss water and electrolytes in body. The body need salt for body function, and sugar as glucose- energy supply. So mix with the ratio of 1: 3 for salt: sugar and dilute with water. Feed the dog with springe in very small amount ,cause we dun wish to stimulate the vomit again. Another alternative way, I put little bit of syrup / honey in the month to give glucose (energy source)
2. Check for the gastro- upset.
Press on the stomach and investigated the reaction of dog. It gave those uncomfortable reaction when you press on stomach indicated might due to pain sensation. When hit on the stomach, hear the sound , as there was air inside , it mean bloating/might due to food poisoning.
|Non stop vomiting even one sip of water, watery blood vomit.|
I suspected my dog might hurt the stomach due to ingest sharp and hard bone, it give pain sensation when I press on the stomach. Also I heard the drooling sound in tummy. I gave the dog 1/5 of the250 Magnesium trisilicate tablet to relieve the gastric juice act toward stomach. It supposed to chew and swallow, but due to its condition, I diluted in water first.
3. Check for fever symptoms.By touching on the body , my puppy body temperature extremely high and running nose, extremely weak. ( The normal healthy will normally having dry nose) Another general knowledge to indicated your pet healthy status, instead the by those abnormal activities, the physical appearance also give sign. Easier by observing the fur/hair. Sick pet normally shown messy and fur , shown not as shining /as glossy as usual. These apply for cat and dog.
My puppy body temperature was higher than before, and I assumed it was having fever. So, I gave 1/5 of the 500mg paracetamol tablet by dissolving in water.
4. The vomit sensationThe dog not cure even I tried to feed as small as possible amount of water. It throw out again and again, including those medication. The concept of vomit is when the food/water go down in the stomach, it enhance the stretch of stomach muscle and expelled it.
Finally , no choices, I feed it with 1/5 anti-vomit medication, Loperamide tablet, to stop the vomit. . It really need to go to veterinary as fast as possible and get infusion of glucose, to stop dehydration. If dehydration continues it might cause die.
5. Applied the 12 hours fasting rules for dogSmall amount of water and glucose allowed. After 12 hours, when the condition get better. I feed it with those blend diet, small amount but frequent. Suggested meal, porridge and boiled chicken. I make the quite watery porridge and chopped the chicken in really small, reduce the work of stomach as much as possible. Prevent to give something like hard or hard to digested , like biscuit.
6. Restricted the meal/diet until the situation get better.Slowly back to normal meal, in the same time keep an eyes on any improvement. If the condition turned bad , straight away bring to vet.
Monday , the condition was still unstable. I really thought we gonna loss it.
We rushed it to the vet clinic early in the morning. A pretty veterinary with big eyes , and talk in lovely voice came . She suspected the dog might infected with certain types of virus / bacteria(infection), she prescribed antibiotic injection + anti emetic medicine with addition of one vitamin C injection to enhance the body immune system.
Blessed god, the puppy is now as healthy as before.
|Good appetite and sleep. It recovered very fast.|